Friday 14 February 2014

Family Friday: Half Term Ideas

As a parent with my finger firmly attached to the internet, I have been looking around for things to do with the boys when they're off on Half Term next week.

The youngest boy child has decided that he really wants to go to the seaside... wind and blowy gales included, the eldest has come home with a list of chores to do for Cubs so he can get his Home Help badge. Oh what a Cub Leader I am, bribery with a badge so he'll tidy his room for a week.







On his list are the following:

  1. Cook a simple one-course meal. I'm thinking along the lines of beans on toast (or more likely spaghetti hoops then his brother will eat it too).
  2. Lay a table and serve a simple meal. This can be done with requirement number one. 
  3. Wash up afterwards and show how to clean a saucepan or similar cooking utensils, cutlery, glassware, etc. This may include loading and unloading a dishwasher. Anything that means I don't have to!
  4. Under adult supervision, wash and iron your Group scarf. I hate ironing those, and he screws it up in seconds.
  5. Sew on a badge or button. He has plenty of buttons that have popped!
  6. Keep your room clean and tidy and make your bed for a week. This one is my favourite! 
  7. Clean two of the following: windows, silver, brass-work, basin or cupboard. Would it be cruel to pass him all the spoons that haven't been polished for 10+ years.
  8. Clean and tidy a living room. He'll hate me for this!
And if I'm brave I may also add make a cup of tea/coffee to the list. 

If he manages it he'll get this badge for his uniform.


Now what to do on a windy day on a UK beach when the winds have been at their worst? 

We could head towards Hornsea, a shale beach with lots of rocks. Suitable for making pets with...
and some gorgeous fish and chips. And some kite flying to boot.

We could also go to Bridlington or Scarborough, which at least have shops close by to shelter from the biting wind, before a final decision is made I best keep an eye on the weather reports.



No comments:

Post a Comment